Apple digital AV Adapter and HDMI cable
Connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a display:
- Connect an HDMI or VGA cable to your adapter.
- Connect the other end of your HDMI or VGA cable to your secondary display (TV, monitor, or projector).
- Turn on your secondary display.
- If necessary, switch to the correct video source on your secondary display. If you need help, use your display's manual.
Now the screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch should appear2 on your TV, display, or projector.
Charge your iOS device while it's connected to a display
Most adapters have an extra Lightning connector or 30-pin Dock connector, so you can charge your iOS device while connected to a secondary display. Just connect a Lightning to USB or Dock Connector to USB to the adapter. Then plug the USB connector into a power source.
Find out what to do when you have the following issues.
If you see video but can't hear audio
Make sure that you're using a Digital AV adapter (which has an HDMI port). If you're using a VGA adapter, it doesn't carry audio signals. To hear audio with a VGA adapter, you need to connect to the headset jack on your TV, monitor, projector, or stereo.
If an alert says that an HDCP-compatible device is required
Your content might not be compatible with your adapter. Movies, TV shows, and certain streaming video apps require High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP). If you try to play these movies, shows, and streaming videos using a non-HDCP digital connection—like the Apple VGA Adapter—an alert will ask for an HDCP-compatible device.
If you need help with other issues
- Disconnect and reconnect your adapter from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and from your TV, monitor, or projector.
- Make sure that your VGA or HDMI cable works, since the issue could be with the cable.
- Remove any VGA or HDMI extension cables or converters. Accessories that convert a VGA or HDMI signals to different video formats (DVI, Composite, Component) aren't compatible.
1. To find your accessory's model number, connect it to your iOS device and go to Settings > General > About > Apple HDMI Adapter.